Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Retirement Rant/ 3 Pillars

Everyone should know by now that I have devoted a great deal of study time to the notion of Early Retirement or Extreme Retirement.  My overall plans are to be retired in ten years or less.  It sounds crazy, but it can be done.  I have read tons of blogs, books, articles, etc., each with their own systems in place to achieve such a goal.  I have boiled them all down to three basic categories or pillars if you will.  No matter how debt laden you are these pillars need to be a focal point in all of life's transactions.

The 3 Pillars of Early retirement (Financial Freedom, Financial Independence)

I. Passive Income / Making money without working (e.g. Dividends, stocks, CD's)

II. Parsimony / Not spending money (e.g. Frugality, Stoicism, being a cheap-o)

III. Sustainability / Not needing money to begin with (e.g. Making things, Ebay, Growing)


All three of these categories will put you in the scope of some form of financial independence.  It is up to you to choose how quickly you want it.  So far I have been working on all three in no particular order.  From dividend investing to bread making it all adds up in the end.

I will probably dedicate future blog postings to our committment to the 3 Pillars and our ultimate goal of not needing a job for income.

No comments: